Some uses of maps have remained relatively unchanged through the ages. We still use them to find out where we are and how to get somewhere else. Governments still use them to say “this is mine, that is yours”. But as our planet has now been pretty comprehensively mapped, we don’t use them to say “I got here first” that much anymore.
Governments and authorities like maps. They’re a useful way of clearly saying this is mine, that is yours. They’re also useful for saying where you can and more importantly, where you can’t go. This is all too evident in a surprising map of where Russian visitors to the US were permitted to visit during the 1950s.
Organic Pigs Or Organic Pig Waste? Mapping The Pros And Cons Of Each US State
Where you choose to live is always a trade off between the pros and the cons, the good and the bad. It probably comes as no surprise that if you’re a resident of Iowa and you have the most organic pigs in the United States you will also have the highest amount of pig waste…. Read more »
There’s a saying that travel broadens the mind. It’s a cliche but cliches generally come about because they’re true. This week my mind has been considerably broadened, visting the Tandale slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam and attending and judging the Sanitation Hackathon, but more about that in a later post. The week… Read more »
Although I fly a lot these days, I don’t fly on internal routes in the US that much and so flying Virgin America, which has onboard wifi, is still something that brings out the childish geek in me. In homage to a certain Mr. Aaron Cope, once again I am in the sky as I… Read more »
Odd map of the London Underground? Check. Maps of how Swedes and Hungarians see Europe? Check. Ah … but what about how our neighbours across the Atlantic see the world? You know, the country that has a special relationship with the United Kingdom? I have just the very thing for you. Let’s start with a… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Your maps are not lying to you https://t.co/iSmdIOVVPQ 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: How the capital commutes: London map shows the flow of cars and bikes on city streets https://t.co/byFxWsHd9D 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- At the office at 05.27. The O stands for "OMG it's early" as Robin Williams once said. @… https://t.co/RBz07iOPEv 05:28:15 AM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Boston public schools map switch aims to amend 500 years of distortion https://t.co/NeXuK0q2hQ 07:14:07 AM March 20, 2017
- Hello Sunday evening .... https://t.co/nxaJpc06cx 08:21:19 PM March 19, 2017
- #DecisionsDecisions #CouldntDecide #SoHadBoth https://t.co/AjFE0EDpbT 06:12:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Current status #6nations2017 #englandvsireland #rugby https://t.co/gKe5dakRBF 05:11:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Meanwhile, at ///index.home.raft the new espresso machine undergoes acceptance testing #coffee… https://t.co/vZreupowAu 01:57:15 PM March 16, 2017