Some uses of maps have remained relatively unchanged through the ages. We still use them to find out where we are and how to get somewhere else. Governments still use them to say “this is mine, that is yours”. But as our planet has now been pretty comprehensively mapped, we don’t use them to say “I got here first” that much anymore.
Governments and authorities like maps. They’re a useful way of clearly saying this is mine, that is yours. They’re also useful for saying where you can and more importantly, where you can’t go. This is all too evident in a surprising map of where Russian visitors to the US were permitted to visit during the 1950s.
Organic Pigs Or Organic Pig Waste? Mapping The Pros And Cons Of Each US State
Where you choose to live is always a trade off between the pros and the cons, the good and the bad. It probably comes as no surprise that if you’re a resident of Iowa and you have the most organic pigs in the United States you will also have the highest amount of pig waste…. Read more »
There’s a saying that travel broadens the mind. It’s a cliche but cliches generally come about because they’re true. This week my mind has been considerably broadened, visting the Tandale slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam and attending and judging the Sanitation Hackathon, but more about that in a later post. The week… Read more »
Although I fly a lot these days, I don’t fly on internal routes in the US that much and so flying Virgin America, which has onboard wifi, is still something that brings out the childish geek in me. In homage to a certain Mr. Aaron Cope, once again I am in the sky as I… Read more »
Odd map of the London Underground? Check. Maps of how Swedes and Hungarians see Europe? Check. Ah … but what about how our neighbours across the Atlantic see the world? You know, the country that has a special relationship with the United Kingdom? I have just the very thing for you. Let’s start with a… Read more »
- Current status - Radiohead #glastonbury #fromthesofa @ Teddington https://t.co/zL5Hyt4sx6 about 21 hours ago
- Sign of the times @ Teddington https://t.co/CNFPLpEqWF 10:59:42 AM June 25, 2017
- Meanwhile, in Teddington @ Red Lion https://t.co/PGguKG75sP 06:45:33 PM June 24, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Watch tandem drones use wifi to map a building's interior https://t.co/rpy1WvmWhn 07:55:27 PM June 22, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Kickstarting Mini Balloon and Kite Mapping Kits for everyone https://t.co/zwGiXR8eOl 07:55:27 PM June 22, 2017
- Baby Jalapeños! #homegrown #chilli @ Teddington https://t.co/FpSq5SxsbH 08:18:35 AM June 22, 2017
- Current status - scheming @ Satellite Applications Catapult https://t.co/zJYNrvLRWJ 10:21:24 AM June 21, 2017
- "It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it." @… https://t.co/4sUGhKhUag 04:20:25 PM June 19, 2017
- Meanwhile, in the Mediterranean, sorry, Teddington @ Teddington https://t.co/3uDJqXYrkO 05:12:47 PM June 18, 2017