Not all Geographic Information conferences are created equal. A great proof point for this is IRLOGI, the Irish Association for Geographic Information. Today I’ve been in Dublin at their annual GIS Ireland 2014 conference, which is in its 19th year. I’d been invited to give one of the opening keynotes; who could resist such an invitation?
One of the great things about the combination of maps, geo, location and London is that roughly once a month there’s some kind of meetup happening in the city on these themes. One of the longer running players in this space is the Geospatial Specialist Group of the British Computer Society which is being relaunched and reinvigorated as the Location Information SG. Earlier this week I gave a talk, but what to talk about?
My morning’s reading today has been dominated by a map image that the UK’s Environment Agency released on December 6th that, to quote the Tweet, shows “the extent of potential flooding of London if the Thames Barrier wasn’t in place“. If you know London at all, it’s certainly an arresting image but like so many times when I encounter a map, I want to interact with it, move it, see whether where I live in London would have been impacted. So I started investigating.
In January of this year I made a hopeful prediction that 2013 would be the year of the tangible map.
Yesterday, Google launched their Maps Engine Lite beta; a way of quickly and easily visualising small scale geographic data sets on (unsurprisingly) a Google map. The service allows you to upload a CSV file containing geographic information and style the resulting map with the data added to it. I thought I’d give it a try…. Read more »
Last week’s 10,00 ton and 55 feet’s worth of meteor that exploded over and hit the Russian city of Chelyabinsk in the Urals made several thoughts go through my mind. In this order. I feel for the 1200 people who were hurt and injured Thank goodness it didn’t happen where I live With all the… Read more »
Although I can’t find the originator of the saying that there’s no delete button for the internet, it’s a saying that’s very true. If you put something up on a web site, be it a photo, some text or perhaps a file of geographic data there’s a very good chance that someone else has a… Read more »
There’s a problem with today’s crop of location based mobile services, commonly referred to as LBMS; those little apps which sit on our smartphones and allow us to geotag status updates or photos, find relevant local place information or check-in at a place. The problem isn’t one of privacy or tracking. Nor is the problem… Read more »
Looking back at the conference talks I gave and the posts I wrote in 2012, two themes are evident. The first theme is that while there’s some utterly gorgeous digital maps being produced these days, such as Stamen’s Watercolor, the vast majority of digital maps can’t really be classified as art. Despite the ability to… Read more »
Work+ – A Fantastic Idea For A Location Based App; Shame About The Metadata Though
I once wrote two posts saying that people are mistaking the context (location) for the end game and that location is (also) a key context, but most people don’t know this. Two years or so after I wrote those posts, the concept of location based mobile services and location based apps shows no sign of… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Your maps are not lying to you https://t.co/iSmdIOVVPQ 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: How the capital commutes: London map shows the flow of cars and bikes on city streets https://t.co/byFxWsHd9D 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- At the office at 05.27. The O stands for "OMG it's early" as Robin Williams once said. @… https://t.co/RBz07iOPEv 05:28:15 AM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Boston public schools map switch aims to amend 500 years of distortion https://t.co/NeXuK0q2hQ 07:14:07 AM March 20, 2017
- Hello Sunday evening .... https://t.co/nxaJpc06cx 08:21:19 PM March 19, 2017
- #DecisionsDecisions #CouldntDecide #SoHadBoth https://t.co/AjFE0EDpbT 06:12:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Current status #6nations2017 #englandvsireland #rugby https://t.co/gKe5dakRBF 05:11:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Meanwhile, at ///index.home.raft the new espresso machine undergoes acceptance testing #coffee… https://t.co/vZreupowAu 01:57:15 PM March 16, 2017