In his book A Zebra Is The Piano Of The Animal Kingdom, Jarod Kintz wrote “when you’re a cartographer, having to make maps sort of comes with the territory”. He’s right. When your business is making maps you should be able to do just that. But what if you’re not a cartographer? What if you had to draw a map of the country you live in? From memory? What would that map look like?
Bad Cartography – Stansted, Essex (Airport) vs. Stansted, Kent (Not An Airport)
If there’s one thing that stands out more than a map that says “you are here”, it’s a map that says “you are here” and seems to get the map wrong.
Just Because You Can Put Things On A Map Doesn’t Always Mean You Should Allow Anyone To Put Things On A Map
Crowd sourcing data is a laudable approach. Crowd sourcing data and putting it one a map seems like a good idea. Crowd sourcing data and putting it on a map without any verification or checks? You might not end up with what you originally intended.
Like most people, my email Inbox gets hit with a lot of spam on a daily basis. Most of this is caught by my email client’s junk mail filtering, but some gets through. Most of it is, at face value, auto generated; phishing attempts for bank accounts I don’t have or solicitations for advance fee… Read more »
I wasn’t at WhereCamp EU in Amsterdam recently. At least, I wasn’t there in person, but according to Mark Iliffe and Giuseppe Sollazzo I was certainly there in spirit. You see, at WhereCamp EU in Berlin last year I was doing what I usually do at conferences; watching a talk, laptop on lap, live Tweeting furiously…. Read more »
I have learnt four things over the past year or so. One. The iPhone 3’s glass was scratch resistant but not dropping-onto-a-stone-floor resistant. Two. I am clumsy. Three. The iPhone 4’s glass was scratch resistant but not dropping-onto-a-pavement resistant. Four. I am still clumsy. Written and posted from the Nokia gate5 office in Schönhauser Allee,… Read more »
Isn’t GPS a wonderful invention? In the space of a few seconds, your GPS enabled handset can give you your precise location on the face of the Earth, allowing mobile maps to work, routing and navigation to get you to where you want to be or earning you another Mayor badge on a well known… Read more »
I’ve had an HP DeskJet F-something-or-other for a couple of years now. It’s a small grey thing, around the size of a shoe box that prints, scans and photocopies. At least that’s what it said in the brochure and on HP’s web site. It used to sit plugged into the USB port on my AirPort… Read more »
Once again, this is not the post I set out to write. The one I set out to write was called “In Search of Location’s Sweet Spot” and it’s sitting in draft and not yet posted. That’s because before I can submit that post I need to write this one as a warm up act…. Read more »
I find myself travelling a lot for work these days and that means a roaming service for wifi hotspots and hotel internet connections really makes life simpler. I could maintain subscriptions to The Cloud, T-Mobile Hotspots, BT OpenZone and so on and so on, but fortunately Yahoo! provides me with an iPass subscription. iPass is… Read more »
- A giant, plastic, Parmesan round is the obvious choice for a coffee shop decoration. Right? @ Costa https://t.co/bc6KGvAuEp about 18 hours ago
- Current status - watching all the grounded British Airways planes @ Heathrow Terminal 2 https://t.co/0Dm7kFy9sm about 18 hours ago
- Meanwhile, in the City of London @ St. Paul's Cathedral https://t.co/T3OeM3e4Jm 11:13:36 AM May 26, 2017
- Ooh. I've never been to a gardend before. @ Hammersmith https://t.co/Y5Tfhaft3L 03:22:51 PM May 25, 2017
- I only drink these when the temperature gets to 25° #GuiltyPleasure #StarbucksIsNotCoffee @… https://t.co/QhcZA5s1Jk 02:51:32 PM May 25, 2017
- Current status; somewhere above Regent Street @ Regent Street https://t.co/WYMqooB24V 02:17:58 PM May 23, 2017
- Current status ... river and people watching @ Kingston Bridge, London https://t.co/gHt8yAOIn9 10:30:10 AM May 21, 2017
- Meanwhile, in Kingston .... @ the terrace eatery https://t.co/G0DuShCngx 10:25:20 AM May 21, 2017
- I am feeling welcomed @ The Cricketers, Richmond Green https://t.co/PWLYy0fkJv 05:37:34 PM May 18, 2017