When I was a lot younger than I am now I learned the address of where I was growing up. More about that in a moment. First I want to mention what I didn’t learn. I didn’t learn that I was at TQ 23210 65789. Nor did I learn that I lived at 51.377792, -0.23107184…. Read more »
I don’t grow my own organic vertices. Nor do I use gluten-free technology. At least not that I’m aware. But I have been known to geocode by hand, in small batches and I do follow the @geohipster Twitter account. According to a new map put together by Ralph Straumann, that’s enough to make me a #geohipster.
In English, null means nothing, nil, empty or void. In computing, null is a special value for nothing, an empty value. In geography, null tends to be what you get when you’ve been unable to geocode a place or an address and haven’t checked the geocoder’s response. What you end up with is a pair of coordinates of 0 degrees longitude and 0 degrees latitude, a point somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, south of Ghana and west of Gabon. It’s here that you’ll also find Null Island, if you look hard enough.
The last week has been crammed with planning for and finally realising the first WhereCamp unconference to be held in Europe. More of that later but before WhereCamp EU, there was the London Twitter Developer’s DevNest. Angus Fox, one of the organisers of the DevNest, had first got in touch with me last year after… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Cartographic art by Matthew Rangel https://t.co/iW1HuL4FhQ 10:25:32 PM February 23, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: The literary maps of our childhoods https://t.co/bXCKeM9L3S 10:25:31 PM February 23, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Auto-generated maps of fantasy worlds https://t.co/TXAGr5FMVn 10:25:31 PM February 23, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Mechanical spinning globe that shows the night/day terminator https://t.co/TNKTLAs2Mj 10:25:30 PM February 23, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: 4 maps that will change how you see migration in Europe https://t.co/VD305oXLli 11:28:19 PM February 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: It Works for the Turks: A Colour for Each Direction https://t.co/hx8F4UpUI5 04:03:28 PM February 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Israeli Startup Pixtier Transforms Aerial Photos Taken By Drones Into Perfect 3D Maps https://t.co/oZgjydMkMW 04:03:27 PM February 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: How old are the buildings in your area? A new interactive map might tell you https://t.co/7U49PYzgIr 12:51:24 PM February 20, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Japanese Designers May Have Created the Most Accurate Map of Our World: See the AuthaGraph https://t.co/EOv6AjgR2K 12:51:24 PM February 20, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Buckminster Fuller's Map of the World : The Innovation that Revolutionized Map Design (194… https://t.co/Wm86D0Lpcw 12:51:23 PM February 20, 2017