The geo industry has always been a fairly vaguely and nebulously defined industry and it takes a brave conference organiser to try and cover everything that’s geo related in a single conference. But that’s what GeoBusiness tries to do and it almost succeeds. This year’s conference agenda and trade booth sideshow managed to cover the… Read more »
I like maps. Even if you’ve never read posts on this site, the name “Mostly Maps” should probably be a giveaway. What you may not know is that I don’t really like musicals. Now granted I’ve seen Rent and Spamalot, but that’s because Alison and I were in New York and the former was recommended by one of my best friends and for the latter I’m a massive Python fan. Maps and musicals aren’t something that go together. But that may be about to change.
The Greek Philosopher Heraclitus was fond of saying “the only constant is change” (actually he said “nothing endures but change” but let’s not split hairs). He probably wasn’t talking about meetups and get-togethers in London but this still fits rather well. Events come and go as their themes either go mainstream or fade. But some remain and London’s #geomob is one of those.
Oh look. It’s another reworking of Harry Beck’s London Underground map. Ken Field probably won’t like it. This one is Doctor Who related. All the usual suspects are present. Each line representing one of the Doctors? Yes. Stations representing monsters and adversaries? Yes. Vague notions of interchanges between the lines? Oh yes.
The Wikipedia entry for George William Frederick of Hanover, better known as King George III of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, is full of details but misses out one key aspect of his life. In addition to concurrently being King, Duke and prince-elect of Brunswick-Lüneburg he was also a map addict and avid map collector.
Despite having a lot of NSFW content, estimated at between 2% to 4% by the site’s founder, Tumblr is also the microblogging site that some maps and cartography aficionados call home. The scope and range of these is simply staggering. But now there’s a new, albeit tenuously, related maps Tumblr in town.
From Wasserklo to Grashügel by way of Königskreuz St. Pankraz; The London U-Bahn Map
Yesterday I took the S-Bahn from my local train station in the suburbs of London. At the terminus at Wasserklo I took the Nördlich U-Bahn Linie to Königskreuz St. Pankraz, changing onto the Städtich Linie and finally alighted at Grashügel. No. Wait. That’s not right.
Finally Summer has arrived in London just in time to coincide with the annual population exodus known as the summer holidays. But wait. When you arrive at your holiday destination, how do you order a beer? If you’re lucky, you’ll remember some rudimentary French or Spanish from your school days. But what about other languages? Surely there’s a map for this essential information?
If you live in a city for any period of time, you form a mental image of what quantifies certain areas or neighbourhoods. If someone mentions, say, posh London, I instantly think of the area around Mayfair and Knightsbridge. But you could put this personal and biased view on a map?
- Today's interweb #maps: Watch tandem drones use wifi to map a building's interior https://t.co/rpy1WvmWhn about 22 hours ago
- Today's interweb #maps: Kickstarting Mini Balloon and Kite Mapping Kits for everyone https://t.co/zwGiXR8eOl about 22 hours ago
- Baby Jalapeños! #homegrown #chilli @ Teddington https://t.co/FpSq5SxsbH 08:18:35 AM June 22, 2017
- Current status - scheming @ Satellite Applications Catapult https://t.co/zJYNrvLRWJ 10:21:24 AM June 21, 2017
- "It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it." @… https://t.co/4sUGhKhUag 04:20:25 PM June 19, 2017
- Meanwhile, in the Mediterranean, sorry, Teddington @ Teddington https://t.co/3uDJqXYrkO 05:12:47 PM June 18, 2017
- Sunday. Sun. Fathers Day. Need I say more? @ Richmond Green https://t.co/DXewUy4Il9 04:27:17 PM June 18, 2017
- Phillippe Floppe @ Richmond Green https://t.co/7722vlnV1l 03:00:49 PM June 18, 2017
- "Fish, to taste right, must swim 3 times: in water, in butter and in wine" #wisewords @ La Buvette https://t.co/BZPVqJ6zqc 02:21:07 PM June 18, 2017