Big Arrows And Beacons; Navigating Across The United States By Plane In The Pre-GPS Era
It’s the mid-1920’s and you’re in a plane trying to navigate your way across the vastness of the United States. GPS hasn’t been invented yet. VHF Omni Directional Radio Range, shortened to VOR, hasn’t been invented yet. LFR, or Low Frequency Radio Range, hasn’t been invented yet. How do you hope to stay on course?
Today’s digital maps, both on the web, on our mobile phones and in our cars are almost ubiquitous. But they’re not without their problems. They need recharging, updating and most need some form of network connectivity and that’s even before you look at the potential privacy aspects of who’s watching your position. But now there’s the next generation of portable navigation system.
A Bipolar Attitude To Aerial And Satellite Imagery Plus Maps Fear, Uncertainty And Doubt
Maps and map imagery seem to be back in the news. Google’s recent map update and immense speculation about Apple’s “will they, won’t they” replacement for the current Google Maps app on iOS seems to be spilling over from the usual tech media into mainstream news. Firstly, the UK’s Daily Telegraph, a “quality broadsheet” seems… Read more »
The problems started the moment GPS became a commodity and made the transition from the car to the mobile device. Nowadays, GPS can be found in a vast range of smartphones and navigation is possible without being confined to your car. Of course, it’s not always a great experience. GPS works best when there’s a… Read more »
Attempts to predict the growth, success and uptake of technology are rife. Accurate predictions, less so. “There’s no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home“, said Ken Olsen, then founder and CEO of DEC in 1977. “I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers” is apocryphally attributed to… Read more »
- Current status: about to acquire refreshment @ Kings Head Teddington https://t.co/n2U7tzTwJV 06:35:11 PM April 22, 2017
- Getting a suspicion someone cut corners when designing the new #brexit commemorative 2p coin @… https://t.co/pvowOdWM0I 08:05:03 AM April 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: https://t.co/CfZTVX2l0B 11:13:18 AM April 16, 2017
- Extinguished @ Richmond (London) station https://t.co/ThJ1OLwxNb 11:10:10 AM April 16, 2017
- South Bank panorama @ National Theatre https://t.co/c07bpaAMpp 11:26:00 PM April 15, 2017
- Twelfth Night at the Olivier with a spectacular sunset @ National Theatre https://t.co/QOPUDJ72vw 07:13:27 PM April 15, 2017
- Words of wisdom, part 23 @ Cavan Bakery TEDDINGTON https://t.co/IEtB02EO73 10:57:41 AM April 15, 2017
- (Not) Current status @ The Eel Pie, Twickenham https://t.co/B6AkQoWpgb 10:20:19 PM April 12, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Inuit cartography: maps carved in driftwood https://t.co/KE3pl5lX0I 01:05:47 PM April 12, 2017