Big Arrows And Beacons; Navigating Across The United States By Plane In The Pre-GPS Era
It’s the mid-1920’s and you’re in a plane trying to navigate your way across the vastness of the United States. GPS hasn’t been invented yet. VHF Omni Directional Radio Range, shortened to VOR, hasn’t been invented yet. LFR, or Low Frequency Radio Range, hasn’t been invented yet. How do you hope to stay on course?
Today’s digital maps, both on the web, on our mobile phones and in our cars are almost ubiquitous. But they’re not without their problems. They need recharging, updating and most need some form of network connectivity and that’s even before you look at the potential privacy aspects of who’s watching your position. But now there’s the next generation of portable navigation system.
A Bipolar Attitude To Aerial And Satellite Imagery Plus Maps Fear, Uncertainty And Doubt
Maps and map imagery seem to be back in the news. Google’s recent map update and immense speculation about Apple’s “will they, won’t they” replacement for the current Google Maps app on iOS seems to be spilling over from the usual tech media into mainstream news. Firstly, the UK’s Daily Telegraph, a “quality broadsheet” seems… Read more »
The problems started the moment GPS became a commodity and made the transition from the car to the mobile device. Nowadays, GPS can be found in a vast range of smartphones and navigation is possible without being confined to your car. Of course, it’s not always a great experience. GPS works best when there’s a… Read more »
Attempts to predict the growth, success and uptake of technology are rife. Accurate predictions, less so. “There’s no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home“, said Ken Olsen, then founder and CEO of DEC in 1977. “I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers” is apocryphally attributed to… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Your maps are not lying to you https://t.co/iSmdIOVVPQ 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: How the capital commutes: London map shows the flow of cars and bikes on city streets https://t.co/byFxWsHd9D 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- At the office at 05.27. The O stands for "OMG it's early" as Robin Williams once said. @… https://t.co/RBz07iOPEv 05:28:15 AM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Boston public schools map switch aims to amend 500 years of distortion https://t.co/NeXuK0q2hQ 07:14:07 AM March 20, 2017
- Hello Sunday evening .... https://t.co/nxaJpc06cx 08:21:19 PM March 19, 2017
- #DecisionsDecisions #CouldntDecide #SoHadBoth https://t.co/AjFE0EDpbT 06:12:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Current status #6nations2017 #englandvsireland #rugby https://t.co/gKe5dakRBF 05:11:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Meanwhile, at ///index.home.raft the new espresso machine undergoes acceptance testing #coffee… https://t.co/vZreupowAu 01:57:15 PM March 16, 2017