One of the great things about the combination of maps, geo, location and London is that roughly once a month there’s some kind of meetup happening in the city on these themes. One of the longer running players in this space is the Geospatial Specialist Group of the British Computer Society which is being relaunched and reinvigorated as the Location Information SG. Earlier this week I gave a talk, but what to talk about?
My morning’s reading today has been dominated by a map image that the UK’s Environment Agency released on December 6th that, to quote the Tweet, shows “the extent of potential flooding of London if the Thames Barrier wasn’t in place“. If you know London at all, it’s certainly an arresting image but like so many times when I encounter a map, I want to interact with it, move it, see whether where I live in London would have been impacted. So I started investigating.
If you build it they will come. Or to put it another way, sometimes demand outstrips supply. After the phenomenal success of the Transport For London Tube API, the London Datastore blog sadly notes: Owing to overwhelming demand by apps that use the service, the London Underground feed has had to be temporarily suspended. We… Read more »
Back in December of 2009, I wrote about Paul Clarke trying to solve the problem of where’s my train; that there must be a definitive, raw source of real-time (train) information and that I assert that train operators know where their assets are; it would be irresponsible if they didn’t Whilst the plethora of train operators… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Your maps are not lying to you https://t.co/iSmdIOVVPQ 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: How the capital commutes: London map shows the flow of cars and bikes on city streets https://t.co/byFxWsHd9D 09:14:26 PM March 21, 2017
- At the office at 05.27. The O stands for "OMG it's early" as Robin Williams once said. @… https://t.co/RBz07iOPEv 05:28:15 AM March 21, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Boston public schools map switch aims to amend 500 years of distortion https://t.co/NeXuK0q2hQ 07:14:07 AM March 20, 2017
- Hello Sunday evening .... https://t.co/nxaJpc06cx 08:21:19 PM March 19, 2017
- #DecisionsDecisions #CouldntDecide #SoHadBoth https://t.co/AjFE0EDpbT 06:12:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Current status #6nations2017 #englandvsireland #rugby https://t.co/gKe5dakRBF 05:11:21 PM March 18, 2017
- Meanwhile, at ///index.home.raft the new espresso machine undergoes acceptance testing #coffee… https://t.co/vZreupowAu 01:57:15 PM March 16, 2017