One of the great things about the combination of maps, geo, location and London is that roughly once a month there’s some kind of meetup happening in the city on these themes. One of the longer running players in this space is the Geospatial Specialist Group of the British Computer Society which is being relaunched and reinvigorated as the Location Information SG. Earlier this week I gave a talk, but what to talk about?
My morning’s reading today has been dominated by a map image that the UK’s Environment Agency released on December 6th that, to quote the Tweet, shows “the extent of potential flooding of London if the Thames Barrier wasn’t in place“. If you know London at all, it’s certainly an arresting image but like so many times when I encounter a map, I want to interact with it, move it, see whether where I live in London would have been impacted. So I started investigating.
If you build it they will come. Or to put it another way, sometimes demand outstrips supply. After the phenomenal success of the Transport For London Tube API, the London Datastore blog sadly notes: Owing to overwhelming demand by apps that use the service, the London Underground feed has had to be temporarily suspended. We… Read more »
Back in December of 2009, I wrote about Paul Clarke trying to solve the problem of where’s my train; that there must be a definitive, raw source of real-time (train) information and that I assert that train operators know where their assets are; it would be irresponsible if they didn’t Whilst the plethora of train operators… Read more »
- Current status ... expeditioning @ Allerton, Liverpool https://t.co/TXd2eiTr6y about 21 hours ago
- Current status: blessed out on deep house @ Liverpool https://t.co/7wH05nVPlA 11:04:20 PM August 19, 2017
- I live in hope @ The Organ Grinder - Loughborough https://t.co/UpYiRnqTw3 06:59:53 PM August 18, 2017
- What it's like working in an open plan office sometimes .... https://t.co/RU2fYpbogD 04:10:53 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Driving before, during, and after rush hour: city maps of how far you'd get https://t.co/bjjNuAUu0F 03:32:23 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Map of local embroidery techniques in Pakistan https://t.co/YM02ViLZJQ 03:32:22 PM August 18, 2017
- Tonight the food is Lebanese, the beer is Greek and the coffee is Turkish. @ Tarboush https://t.co/oYL8l4SJYp 07:35:48 PM August 16, 2017
- One minute sun. The next hail. @ Richmond Green https://t.co/LrNc35uWVH 12:55:15 PM August 05, 2017
- Oh yes indeed @ Richmond Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom https://t.co/yCIqqFqNdK 12:50:27 PM August 05, 2017
- There's a storm brewing @ Moto Cherwell Valley https://t.co/gIbpaHE0HK 06:05:02 PM August 04, 2017