One of the great things about the combination of maps, geo, location and London is that roughly once a month there’s some kind of meetup happening in the city on these themes. One of the longer running players in this space is the Geospatial Specialist Group of the British Computer Society which is being relaunched and reinvigorated as the Location Information SG. Earlier this week I gave a talk, but what to talk about?
My morning’s reading today has been dominated by a map image that the UK’s Environment Agency released on December 6th that, to quote the Tweet, shows “the extent of potential flooding of London if the Thames Barrier wasn’t in place“. If you know London at all, it’s certainly an arresting image but like so many times when I encounter a map, I want to interact with it, move it, see whether where I live in London would have been impacted. So I started investigating.
If you build it they will come. Or to put it another way, sometimes demand outstrips supply. After the phenomenal success of the Transport For London Tube API, the London Datastore blog sadly notes: Owing to overwhelming demand by apps that use the service, the London Underground feed has had to be temporarily suspended. We… Read more »
Back in December of 2009, I wrote about Paul Clarke trying to solve the problem of where’s my train; that there must be a definitive, raw source of real-time (train) information and that I assert that train operators know where their assets are; it would be irresponsible if they didn’t Whilst the plethora of train operators… Read more »
- Today's interweb #maps: Watch tandem drones use wifi to map a building's interior https://t.co/rpy1WvmWhn 07:55:27 PM June 22, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Kickstarting Mini Balloon and Kite Mapping Kits for everyone https://t.co/zwGiXR8eOl 07:55:27 PM June 22, 2017
- Baby Jalapeños! #homegrown #chilli @ Teddington https://t.co/FpSq5SxsbH 08:18:35 AM June 22, 2017
- Current status - scheming @ Satellite Applications Catapult https://t.co/zJYNrvLRWJ 10:21:24 AM June 21, 2017
- "It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it." @… https://t.co/4sUGhKhUag 04:20:25 PM June 19, 2017
- Meanwhile, in the Mediterranean, sorry, Teddington @ Teddington https://t.co/3uDJqXYrkO 05:12:47 PM June 18, 2017
- Sunday. Sun. Fathers Day. Need I say more? @ Richmond Green https://t.co/DXewUy4Il9 04:27:17 PM June 18, 2017
- Phillippe Floppe @ Richmond Green https://t.co/7722vlnV1l 03:00:49 PM June 18, 2017
- "Fish, to taste right, must swim 3 times: in water, in butter and in wine" #wisewords @ La Buvette https://t.co/BZPVqJ6zqc 02:21:07 PM June 18, 2017