One of the great things about the combination of maps, geo, location and London is that roughly once a month there’s some kind of meetup happening in the city on these themes. One of the longer running players in this space is the Geospatial Specialist Group of the British Computer Society which is being relaunched and reinvigorated as the Location Information SG. Earlier this week I gave a talk, but what to talk about?
My morning’s reading today has been dominated by a map image that the UK’s Environment Agency released on December 6th that, to quote the Tweet, shows “the extent of potential flooding of London if the Thames Barrier wasn’t in place“. If you know London at all, it’s certainly an arresting image but like so many times when I encounter a map, I want to interact with it, move it, see whether where I live in London would have been impacted. So I started investigating.
If you build it they will come. Or to put it another way, sometimes demand outstrips supply. After the phenomenal success of the Transport For London Tube API, the London Datastore blog sadly notes: Owing to overwhelming demand by apps that use the service, the London Underground feed has had to be temporarily suspended. We… Read more »
Back in December of 2009, I wrote about Paul Clarke trying to solve the problem of where’s my train; that there must be a definitive, raw source of real-time (train) information and that I assert that train operators know where their assets are; it would be irresponsible if they didn’t Whilst the plethora of train operators… Read more »
- Current status: about to acquire refreshment @ Kings Head Teddington https://t.co/n2U7tzTwJV 06:35:11 PM April 22, 2017
- Getting a suspicion someone cut corners when designing the new #brexit commemorative 2p coin @… https://t.co/pvowOdWM0I 08:05:03 AM April 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: https://t.co/CfZTVX2l0B 11:13:18 AM April 16, 2017
- Extinguished @ Richmond (London) station https://t.co/ThJ1OLwxNb 11:10:10 AM April 16, 2017
- South Bank panorama @ National Theatre https://t.co/c07bpaAMpp 11:26:00 PM April 15, 2017
- Twelfth Night at the Olivier with a spectacular sunset @ National Theatre https://t.co/QOPUDJ72vw 07:13:27 PM April 15, 2017
- Words of wisdom, part 23 @ Cavan Bakery TEDDINGTON https://t.co/IEtB02EO73 10:57:41 AM April 15, 2017
- (Not) Current status @ The Eel Pie, Twickenham https://t.co/B6AkQoWpgb 10:20:19 PM April 12, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Inuit cartography: maps carved in driftwood https://t.co/KE3pl5lX0I 01:05:47 PM April 12, 2017