If you’re trying to get out and about in London today you’ve probably noticed that the Tube is on strike. Again. You could read the list of closed stations that are on Transport for London’s website and try and work out quite how, if at all, you’re going to get to where you want to be. Or you could look at a map.
Running between Edgware, Mill Hill East and High Barnet to the North of London to Morden to the South, the London Underground’s Northern Line stretches for 36 miles and takes in 50 stations. The line, marked in black on the Tube map, is a familiar sight to London commuters. But is the map of the line accurate? Does it reflect reality?
Oh look. It’s another reworking of Harry Beck’s London Underground map. Ken Field probably won’t like it. This one is Doctor Who related. All the usual suspects are present. Each line representing one of the Doctors? Yes. Stations representing monsters and adversaries? Yes. Vague notions of interchanges between the lines? Oh yes.
Despite Transport for London owning the copyright (and enforcing it) on Harry Beck’s iconic map of the London Underground network, people just won’t stop creating variants of the map. I may have written about these once, twice, three or even more times. But now, there’s a reworking of the Tube map to possibly end all Tube maps reworks.
From Wasserklo to Grashügel by way of Königskreuz St. Pankraz; The London U-Bahn Map
Yesterday I took the S-Bahn from my local train station in the suburbs of London. At the terminus at Wasserklo I took the Nördlich U-Bahn Linie to Königskreuz St. Pankraz, changing onto the Städtich Linie and finally alighted at Grashügel. No. Wait. That’s not right.
Oh yes, look. Gary’s written yet another post about a map of the London Tube system that he likes. Yawn. Time to move on. But wait … this may look like a map of the London Underground but it’s not. Now I may have been guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve slightly too… Read more »
If you think you know the map of the London Underground network think again. You probably think the Metropolitan Line runs between Amersham and Aldgate; but on this map it doesnt. Instead, it runs between Ram Shame and Data Gel. The southwest termini for the District Line are Richmond and Wimbledon. Maybe not. According to… Read more »
Another day, another map and another #mapgasm post. Actually another 2 maps, both of which are by Max Roberts and both of which have appeared on Annie Mole’s Going Underground blog. Continuing my fascination with the map of the London Underground, which I may have posted about before, Max has been wondering what the Tube… Read more »
In November 2008 I was still working for Yahoo and a fledgling meetup event for people interested in maps, location, geo and mobile started up in London. It was, and still is, called GeoMob. I was at GeoMob’s very first event, talking about Yahoo’s Fire Eagle location brokering platform. Four years later and it was… Read more »
- Meanwhile in Windermere, the beer is from the New Forest @ The Pig, Windermere https://t.co/O7OEr4x4jh about 16 hours ago
- Current status ... expeditioning @ Allerton, Liverpool https://t.co/TXd2eiTr6y 05:52:21 PM August 20, 2017
- Current status: blessed out on deep house @ Liverpool https://t.co/7wH05nVPlA 11:04:20 PM August 19, 2017
- I live in hope @ The Organ Grinder - Loughborough https://t.co/UpYiRnqTw3 06:59:53 PM August 18, 2017
- What it's like working in an open plan office sometimes .... https://t.co/RU2fYpbogD 04:10:53 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Driving before, during, and after rush hour: city maps of how far you'd get https://t.co/bjjNuAUu0F 03:32:23 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Map of local embroidery techniques in Pakistan https://t.co/YM02ViLZJQ 03:32:22 PM August 18, 2017
- Tonight the food is Lebanese, the beer is Greek and the coffee is Turkish. @ Tarboush https://t.co/oYL8l4SJYp 07:35:48 PM August 16, 2017
- One minute sun. The next hail. @ Richmond Green https://t.co/LrNc35uWVH 12:55:15 PM August 05, 2017
- Oh yes indeed @ Richmond Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom https://t.co/yCIqqFqNdK 12:50:27 PM August 05, 2017