If you’re trying to get out and about in London today you’ve probably noticed that the Tube is on strike. Again. You could read the list of closed stations that are on Transport for London’s website and try and work out quite how, if at all, you’re going to get to where you want to be. Or you could look at a map.
Running between Edgware, Mill Hill East and High Barnet to the North of London to Morden to the South, the London Underground’s Northern Line stretches for 36 miles and takes in 50 stations. The line, marked in black on the Tube map, is a familiar sight to London commuters. But is the map of the line accurate? Does it reflect reality?
Oh look. It’s another reworking of Harry Beck’s London Underground map. Ken Field probably won’t like it. This one is Doctor Who related. All the usual suspects are present. Each line representing one of the Doctors? Yes. Stations representing monsters and adversaries? Yes. Vague notions of interchanges between the lines? Oh yes.
Despite Transport for London owning the copyright (and enforcing it) on Harry Beck’s iconic map of the London Underground network, people just won’t stop creating variants of the map. I may have written about these once, twice, three or even more times. But now, there’s a reworking of the Tube map to possibly end all Tube maps reworks.
From Wasserklo to Grashügel by way of Königskreuz St. Pankraz; The London U-Bahn Map
Yesterday I took the S-Bahn from my local train station in the suburbs of London. At the terminus at Wasserklo I took the Nördlich U-Bahn Linie to Königskreuz St. Pankraz, changing onto the Städtich Linie and finally alighted at Grashügel. No. Wait. That’s not right.
Oh yes, look. Gary’s written yet another post about a map of the London Tube system that he likes. Yawn. Time to move on. But wait … this may look like a map of the London Underground but it’s not. Now I may have been guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve slightly too… Read more »
If you think you know the map of the London Underground network think again. You probably think the Metropolitan Line runs between Amersham and Aldgate; but on this map it doesnt. Instead, it runs between Ram Shame and Data Gel. The southwest termini for the District Line are Richmond and Wimbledon. Maybe not. According to… Read more »
Another day, another map and another #mapgasm post. Actually another 2 maps, both of which are by Max Roberts and both of which have appeared on Annie Mole’s Going Underground blog. Continuing my fascination with the map of the London Underground, which I may have posted about before, Max has been wondering what the Tube… Read more »
In November 2008 I was still working for Yahoo and a fledgling meetup event for people interested in maps, location, geo and mobile started up in London. It was, and still is, called GeoMob. I was at GeoMob’s very first event, talking about Yahoo’s Fire Eagle location brokering platform. Four years later and it was… Read more »
- Surely this should be energy=(more coffee)2? @ Coffee Works Lucan https://t.co/38PvIg9Fzn about 22 hours ago
- Today's interweb #maps: Scientists release an “Atlas of the Underworld” https://t.co/m4rXxJU2rw 12:27:17 PM October 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Hundreds of mysterious stone structures discovered on edge of ancient volcanoes in Saudi A… https://t.co/4UnPNhWnBq 12:27:16 PM October 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: European Space Agency Releases First High-Res Land Cover Map of Africa https://t.co/KGqRmU5JRE 12:27:15 PM October 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: A cartographic historian on the fascinating world of ancient maps and sea monsters https://t.co/YeBIZh9bEY 12:27:14 PM October 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Computer-generated maps imagine America redivided into equal-population areas https://t.co/1Y4xYSExfI 12:27:14 PM October 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: The Soviet Union Secretly Mapped London... Here Are Those Maps https://t.co/kpSdWu5YkI 12:27:12 PM October 19, 2017
- Last week the bill was delivered by T Rex. Tonight’s it’s a lizard of some sort. @ Peter and… https://t.co/cWUixXU584 07:57:14 PM October 17, 2017
- This afternoon’s sky is best viewed while listening to REM’s “It’s the end of the world as we… https://t.co/231y1ECbhG 03:48:56 PM October 16, 2017
- Storm Ophelia approaches Teddington. There’s a heavy leaden sky, strong gusts and twilight has… https://t.co/ZqjWwrdPCJ 03:13:29 PM October 16, 2017