In his book A Zebra Is The Piano Of The Animal Kingdom, Jarod Kintz wrote “when you’re a cartographer, having to make maps sort of comes with the territory”. He’s right. When your business is making maps you should be able to do just that. But what if you’re not a cartographer? What if you had to draw a map of the country you live in? From memory? What would that map look like?
The Great British Map; Or Great Britain vs. The United Kingdom vs. The British Isles
Last night I made another map. It tries to answer some of more perplexing and confusing facets of the geography surrounding the world’s 9th largest island. I mean of course Great Britain. No, wait. I mean the United Kingdom. No, wait. I mean Britain. Or do I mean England? See, it’s confusing. So if the… Read more »
There’s a saying that travel broadens the mind. It’s a cliche but cliches generally come about because they’re true. This week my mind has been considerably broadened, visting the Tandale slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam and attending and judging the Sanitation Hackathon, but more about that in a later post. The week… Read more »
If You Live In The UK, You Need To Know About The Communications Data Bill
On Thursday June 14th. 2012, Theresa May, the UK Secretary Of State published the draft Communications Data Bill. If you’ve been reading or watching the UK media you might well be aware of this. The bill is hugely controversial, not least because it requires all UK internet service providers to track and store for 12… Read more »
Back when I used to work for Yahoo! I wrote a lot of posts for the Geo Technologies blog; for reasons partially explained in my last post, that blog is now offline, presumed dead. But one post that seems to keep catching people’s imagination is the one in which I, somewhat tongue in cheek, codified… Read more »
Is it Great Britain, the United Kingdom, the British Isles or what exactly?
In February 2009 I wrote a post for the Yahoo! Geo Technologies blog about how people outside of the United Kingdom are sometimes confused by the vagaries of how to correctly write street addresses in the UK and if the United Kingdom is a country and if England is a country then how can England… Read more »
This is an open letter to Andy Bond, Chief Executive of Asda and to Mike Duke, CEO of Wal-Mart. As a British citizen who travels a lot in the US I understand that the “customer service” ethos which is so prevalent in the US doesn’t travel or translate particularly well in the UK. I also… Read more »
Mr. Iain Banks is a Scottish author with two personas. As Iain Banks he writes mainstream, if slightly edgy, novels. As Iain M. Banks he writes science fiction novels, including the Culture series, which deals with a vast and sprawling interstellar utopian civilization. The M is important here. Without it you know you’re getting a mainstream… Read more »
Deliciousness: more bacon, UK geek location, your PIN number, birds tweeting, Ohio as a piano, OMG and WTF and UNIX turns 40.
A semi regular, almost weekly, trawl through the latest stuff on the interwebs bookmarked on Delicious. This fad for all things bacon flavoured is getting out of hand; a few weeks back it was bacon flavoured vodka and now you can get bacon flavoured lip balm. There’s lots of geeks in the United Kingdom; now you… Read more »
- Current status: about to acquire refreshment @ Kings Head Teddington https://t.co/n2U7tzTwJV 06:35:11 PM April 22, 2017
- Getting a suspicion someone cut corners when designing the new #brexit commemorative 2p coin @… https://t.co/pvowOdWM0I 08:05:03 AM April 19, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: https://t.co/CfZTVX2l0B 11:13:18 AM April 16, 2017
- Extinguished @ Richmond (London) station https://t.co/ThJ1OLwxNb 11:10:10 AM April 16, 2017
- South Bank panorama @ National Theatre https://t.co/c07bpaAMpp 11:26:00 PM April 15, 2017
- Twelfth Night at the Olivier with a spectacular sunset @ National Theatre https://t.co/QOPUDJ72vw 07:13:27 PM April 15, 2017
- Words of wisdom, part 23 @ Cavan Bakery TEDDINGTON https://t.co/IEtB02EO73 10:57:41 AM April 15, 2017
- (Not) Current status @ The Eel Pie, Twickenham https://t.co/B6AkQoWpgb 10:20:19 PM April 12, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Inuit cartography: maps carved in driftwood https://t.co/KE3pl5lX0I 01:05:47 PM April 12, 2017