If you’re trying to get out and about in London today you’ve probably noticed that the Tube is on strike. Again. You could read the list of closed stations that are on Transport for London’s website and try and work out quite how, if at all, you’re going to get to where you want to be. Or you could look at a map.
Running between Edgware, Mill Hill East and High Barnet to the North of London to Morden to the South, the London Underground’s Northern Line stretches for 36 miles and takes in 50 stations. The line, marked in black on the Tube map, is a familiar sight to London commuters. But is the map of the line accurate? Does it reflect reality?
Oh look. It’s another reworking of Harry Beck’s London Underground map. Ken Field probably won’t like it. This one is Doctor Who related. All the usual suspects are present. Each line representing one of the Doctors? Yes. Stations representing monsters and adversaries? Yes. Vague notions of interchanges between the lines? Oh yes.
Despite Transport for London owning the copyright (and enforcing it) on Harry Beck’s iconic map of the London Underground network, people just won’t stop creating variants of the map. I may have written about these once, twice, three or even more times. But now, there’s a reworking of the Tube map to possibly end all Tube maps reworks.
From Wasserklo to Grashügel by way of Königskreuz St. Pankraz; The London U-Bahn Map
Yesterday I took the S-Bahn from my local train station in the suburbs of London. At the terminus at Wasserklo I took the Nördlich U-Bahn Linie to Königskreuz St. Pankraz, changing onto the Städtich Linie and finally alighted at Grashügel. No. Wait. That’s not right.
This is another mass transit map, but this time it’s not of the London Underground system, but the U-Bahn and S-Bahn system in Berlin. The name U-Bahn derives from Untergrundbahn, or underground railway whilst S-Bahn comes from Stadtschnellbahn, or fast city train. As a general rule of thumb, the London Underground is, as the name… Read more »
Oh yes, look. Gary’s written yet another post about a map of the London Tube system that he likes. Yawn. Time to move on. But wait … this may look like a map of the London Underground but it’s not. Now I may have been guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve slightly too… Read more »
If you think you know the map of the London Underground network think again. You probably think the Metropolitan Line runs between Amersham and Aldgate; but on this map it doesnt. Instead, it runs between Ram Shame and Data Gel. The southwest termini for the District Line are Richmond and Wimbledon. Maybe not. According to… Read more »
Another day, another map and another #mapgasm post. Actually another 2 maps, both of which are by Max Roberts and both of which have appeared on Annie Mole’s Going Underground blog. Continuing my fascination with the map of the London Underground, which I may have posted about before, Max has been wondering what the Tube… Read more »
In November 2008 I was still working for Yahoo and a fledgling meetup event for people interested in maps, location, geo and mobile started up in London. It was, and still is, called GeoMob. I was at GeoMob’s very first event, talking about Yahoo’s Fire Eagle location brokering platform. Four years later and it was… Read more »
- A giant, plastic, Parmesan round is the obvious choice for a coffee shop decoration. Right? @ Costa https://t.co/bc6KGvAuEp about 18 hours ago
- Current status - watching all the grounded British Airways planes @ Heathrow Terminal 2 https://t.co/0Dm7kFy9sm about 18 hours ago
- Meanwhile, in the City of London @ St. Paul's Cathedral https://t.co/T3OeM3e4Jm 11:13:36 AM May 26, 2017
- Ooh. I've never been to a gardend before. @ Hammersmith https://t.co/Y5Tfhaft3L 03:22:51 PM May 25, 2017
- I only drink these when the temperature gets to 25° #GuiltyPleasure #StarbucksIsNotCoffee @… https://t.co/QhcZA5s1Jk 02:51:32 PM May 25, 2017
- Current status; somewhere above Regent Street @ Regent Street https://t.co/WYMqooB24V 02:17:58 PM May 23, 2017
- Current status ... river and people watching @ Kingston Bridge, London https://t.co/gHt8yAOIn9 10:30:10 AM May 21, 2017
- Meanwhile, in Kingston .... @ the terrace eatery https://t.co/G0DuShCngx 10:25:20 AM May 21, 2017
- I am feeling welcomed @ The Cricketers, Richmond Green https://t.co/PWLYy0fkJv 05:37:34 PM May 18, 2017