In his book A Zebra Is The Piano Of The Animal Kingdom, Jarod Kintz wrote “when you’re a cartographer, having to make maps sort of comes with the territory”. He’s right. When your business is making maps you should be able to do just that. But what if you’re not a cartographer? What if you had to draw a map of the country you live in? From memory? What would that map look like?
The Great British Map; Or Great Britain vs. The United Kingdom vs. The British Isles
Last night I made another map. It tries to answer some of more perplexing and confusing facets of the geography surrounding the world’s 9th largest island. I mean of course Great Britain. No, wait. I mean the United Kingdom. No, wait. I mean Britain. Or do I mean England? See, it’s confusing. So if the… Read more »
Is it Great Britain, the United Kingdom, the British Isles or what exactly?
In February 2009 I wrote a post for the Yahoo! Geo Technologies blog about how people outside of the United Kingdom are sometimes confused by the vagaries of how to correctly write street addresses in the UK and if the United Kingdom is a country and if England is a country then how can England… Read more »
- Meanwhile in Windermere, the beer is from the New Forest @ The Pig, Windermere https://t.co/O7OEr4x4jh about 16 hours ago
- Current status ... expeditioning @ Allerton, Liverpool https://t.co/TXd2eiTr6y 05:52:21 PM August 20, 2017
- Current status: blessed out on deep house @ Liverpool https://t.co/7wH05nVPlA 11:04:20 PM August 19, 2017
- I live in hope @ The Organ Grinder - Loughborough https://t.co/UpYiRnqTw3 06:59:53 PM August 18, 2017
- What it's like working in an open plan office sometimes .... https://t.co/RU2fYpbogD 04:10:53 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Driving before, during, and after rush hour: city maps of how far you'd get https://t.co/bjjNuAUu0F 03:32:23 PM August 18, 2017
- Today's interweb #maps: Map of local embroidery techniques in Pakistan https://t.co/YM02ViLZJQ 03:32:22 PM August 18, 2017
- Tonight the food is Lebanese, the beer is Greek and the coffee is Turkish. @ Tarboush https://t.co/oYL8l4SJYp 07:35:48 PM August 16, 2017
- One minute sun. The next hail. @ Richmond Green https://t.co/LrNc35uWVH 12:55:15 PM August 05, 2017
- Oh yes indeed @ Richmond Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom https://t.co/yCIqqFqNdK 12:50:27 PM August 05, 2017