Some uses of maps have remained relatively unchanged through the ages. We still use them to find out where we are and how to get somewhere else. Governments still use them to say “this is mine, that is yours”. But as our planet has now been pretty comprehensively mapped, we don’t use them to say “I got here first” that much anymore.
Governments and authorities like maps. They’re a useful way of clearly saying this is mine, that is yours. They’re also useful for saying where you can and more importantly, where you can’t go. This is all too evident in a surprising map of where Russian visitors to the US were permitted to visit during the 1950s.
Organic Pigs Or Organic Pig Waste? Mapping The Pros And Cons Of Each US State
Where you choose to live is always a trade off between the pros and the cons, the good and the bad. It probably comes as no surprise that if you’re a resident of Iowa and you have the most organic pigs in the United States you will also have the highest amount of pig waste…. Read more »
There’s a saying that travel broadens the mind. It’s a cliche but cliches generally come about because they’re true. This week my mind has been considerably broadened, visting the Tandale slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam and attending and judging the Sanitation Hackathon, but more about that in a later post. The week… Read more »
Although I fly a lot these days, I don’t fly on internal routes in the US that much and so flying Virgin America, which has onboard wifi, is still something that brings out the childish geek in me. In homage to a certain Mr. Aaron Cope, once again I am in the sky as I… Read more »
Odd map of the London Underground? Check. Maps of how Swedes and Hungarians see Europe? Check. Ah … but what about how our neighbours across the Atlantic see the world? You know, the country that has a special relationship with the United Kingdom? I have just the very thing for you. Let’s start with a… Read more »
- Current status - “You cannot reason with a tiger when your head is in its mouth!” @ Everyman Cinema https://t.co/3hTsj0GP4j 02:18:35 PM January 13, 2018
- Neighbourhood voyeurism #VeryTempting #DrainsTheBatteryThough @ Teddington https://t.co/Yk7rvxLuSC 02:16:19 PM January 12, 2018
- Current status - patient and nervous in equal measures @ Teddington https://t.co/Nl4vU3MRII 01:50:19 PM January 04, 2018
- Current status - preparing to use the Force. High are the expectations, yes. @ Everyman Cinema… https://t.co/rFTt868IHg 12:59:50 PM January 02, 2018
- In the last minutes of 2017, a Wayne’s World tribute to Bohemian Rhapsody happened… https://t.co/8CrliOqaQc 07:20:10 PM January 01, 2018
- Current status - ‘Quins 24, Saints 0 @ Teddington https://t.co/Esgx3n0WRT 04:31:47 PM December 30, 2017
- Current status - practice drone flight @ Teddington https://t.co/vOUuWzzPrf 03:48:44 PM December 29, 2017
- Meanwhile in Kingston .... @ Jamie's Italian Kingston https://t.co/OLzJf6rIAI 02:03:24 PM December 28, 2017
- Current status - avoiding suspicious objects @ Southwood Woodlands https://t.co/hfrbRQIiP5 02:18:41 PM December 26, 2017