In his book A Zebra Is The Piano Of The Animal Kingdom, Jarod Kintz wrote “when you’re a cartographer, having to make maps sort of comes with the territory”. He’s right. When your business is making maps you should be able to do just that. But what if you’re not a cartographer? What if you had to draw a map of the country you live in? From memory? What would that map look like?
Bad Cartography – Stansted, Essex (Airport) vs. Stansted, Kent (Not An Airport)
If there’s one thing that stands out more than a map that says “you are here”, it’s a map that says “you are here” and seems to get the map wrong.
Just Because You Can Put Things On A Map Doesn’t Always Mean You Should Allow Anyone To Put Things On A Map
Crowd sourcing data is a laudable approach. Crowd sourcing data and putting it one a map seems like a good idea. Crowd sourcing data and putting it on a map without any verification or checks? You might not end up with what you originally intended.
Like most people, my email Inbox gets hit with a lot of spam on a daily basis. Most of this is caught by my email client’s junk mail filtering, but some gets through. Most of it is, at face value, auto generated; phishing attempts for bank accounts I don’t have or solicitations for advance fee… Read more »
I wasn’t at WhereCamp EU in Amsterdam recently. At least, I wasn’t there in person, but according to Mark Iliffe and Giuseppe Sollazzo I was certainly there in spirit. You see, at WhereCamp EU in Berlin last year I was doing what I usually do at conferences; watching a talk, laptop on lap, live Tweeting furiously…. Read more »
I have learnt four things over the past year or so. One. The iPhone 3’s glass was scratch resistant but not dropping-onto-a-stone-floor resistant. Two. I am clumsy. Three. The iPhone 4’s glass was scratch resistant but not dropping-onto-a-pavement resistant. Four. I am still clumsy. Written and posted from the Nokia gate5 office in Schönhauser Allee,… Read more »
Isn’t GPS a wonderful invention? In the space of a few seconds, your GPS enabled handset can give you your precise location on the face of the Earth, allowing mobile maps to work, routing and navigation to get you to where you want to be or earning you another Mayor badge on a well known… Read more »
I’ve had an HP DeskJet F-something-or-other for a couple of years now. It’s a small grey thing, around the size of a shoe box that prints, scans and photocopies. At least that’s what it said in the brochure and on HP’s web site. It used to sit plugged into the USB port on my AirPort… Read more »
Once again, this is not the post I set out to write. The one I set out to write was called “In Search of Location’s Sweet Spot” and it’s sitting in draft and not yet posted. That’s because before I can submit that post I need to write this one as a warm up act…. Read more »
I find myself travelling a lot for work these days and that means a roaming service for wifi hotspots and hotel internet connections really makes life simpler. I could maintain subscriptions to The Cloud, T-Mobile Hotspots, BT OpenZone and so on and so on, but fortunately Yahoo! provides me with an iPass subscription. iPass is… Read more »
- End of week 2 of working from home all the time and what a week. I’ve built a data server, an API and a website & m… https://t.co/bcHu1maRZn 07:33:22 PM March 27, 2020
- Monumental! @ The Monument https://t.co/np9gKy0QHy 03:32:50 PM March 03, 2020
- Either a) it’s a glorious #Teddington sunrise or b) the Thames is on fire. Let’s hope it’s a) @ Teddington https://t.co/oYrqrLSOTI 07:47:18 AM February 28, 2020
- Still one of the best mixes ever produced; 70 minutes of utter musical insanity well spent @ Teddington, Middlesex,… https://t.co/e6bWBh1PAf 10:07:26 PM February 21, 2020
- If anyone’s lost the moon tonight, it’s trapped in the branches of a tree. @ Hampton Hill, London, United Kingdom https://t.co/kr8hMSc9eA 10:14:28 PM February 11, 2020
- You’d almost think it was spring, apart from the fact that it’s 3°. @ Hungerford Bridge and Golden Jubilee Bridges https://t.co/I4GBxiCdvn 03:26:33 PM February 06, 2020
- Unsure? Me too @ Clerkenwell https://t.co/ZbrRzb5nEZ 05:57:31 PM January 30, 2020
- Mile End Green Bridge; the city is below me with Canary Wharf on the horizon. @ Green Bridge https://t.co/RpivQ1wprr 05:06:22 PM January 29, 2020