Big Arrows And Beacons; Navigating Across The United States By Plane In The Pre-GPS Era
It’s the mid-1920’s and you’re in a plane trying to navigate your way across the vastness of the United States. GPS hasn’t been invented yet. VHF Omni Directional Radio Range, shortened to VOR, hasn’t been invented yet. LFR, or Low Frequency Radio Range, hasn’t been invented yet. How do you hope to stay on course?
Today’s digital maps, both on the web, on our mobile phones and in our cars are almost ubiquitous. But they’re not without their problems. They need recharging, updating and most need some form of network connectivity and that’s even before you look at the potential privacy aspects of who’s watching your position. But now there’s the next generation of portable navigation system.
A Bipolar Attitude To Aerial And Satellite Imagery Plus Maps Fear, Uncertainty And Doubt
Maps and map imagery seem to be back in the news. Google’s recent map update and immense speculation about Apple’s “will they, won’t they” replacement for the current Google Maps app on iOS seems to be spilling over from the usual tech media into mainstream news. Firstly, the UK’s Daily Telegraph, a “quality broadsheet” seems… Read more »
The problems started the moment GPS became a commodity and made the transition from the car to the mobile device. Nowadays, GPS can be found in a vast range of smartphones and navigation is possible without being confined to your car. Of course, it’s not always a great experience. GPS works best when there’s a… Read more »
Attempts to predict the growth, success and uptake of technology are rife. Accurate predictions, less so. “There’s no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home“, said Ken Olsen, then founder and CEO of DEC in 1977. “I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers” is apocryphally attributed to… Read more »
- Current status - “You cannot reason with a tiger when your head is in its mouth!” @ Everyman Cinema https://t.co/3hTsj0GP4j 02:18:35 PM January 13, 2018
- Neighbourhood voyeurism #VeryTempting #DrainsTheBatteryThough @ Teddington https://t.co/Yk7rvxLuSC 02:16:19 PM January 12, 2018
- Current status - patient and nervous in equal measures @ Teddington https://t.co/Nl4vU3MRII 01:50:19 PM January 04, 2018
- Current status - preparing to use the Force. High are the expectations, yes. @ Everyman Cinema… https://t.co/rFTt868IHg 12:59:50 PM January 02, 2018
- In the last minutes of 2017, a Wayne’s World tribute to Bohemian Rhapsody happened… https://t.co/8CrliOqaQc 07:20:10 PM January 01, 2018
- Current status - ‘Quins 24, Saints 0 @ Teddington https://t.co/Esgx3n0WRT 04:31:47 PM December 30, 2017
- Current status - practice drone flight @ Teddington https://t.co/vOUuWzzPrf 03:48:44 PM December 29, 2017
- Meanwhile in Kingston .... @ Jamie's Italian Kingston https://t.co/OLzJf6rIAI 02:03:24 PM December 28, 2017
- Current status - avoiding suspicious objects @ Southwood Woodlands https://t.co/hfrbRQIiP5 02:18:41 PM December 26, 2017