In his book A Zebra Is The Piano Of The Animal Kingdom, Jarod Kintz wrote “when you’re a cartographer, having to make maps sort of comes with the territory”. He’s right. When your business is making maps you should be able to do just that. But what if you’re not a cartographer? What if you had to draw a map of the country you live in? From memory? What would that map look like?
The Great British Map; Or Great Britain vs. The United Kingdom vs. The British Isles
Last night I made another map. It tries to answer some of more perplexing and confusing facets of the geography surrounding the world’s 9th largest island. I mean of course Great Britain. No, wait. I mean the United Kingdom. No, wait. I mean Britain. Or do I mean England? See, it’s confusing. So if the… Read more »
There’s a saying that travel broadens the mind. It’s a cliche but cliches generally come about because they’re true. This week my mind has been considerably broadened, visting the Tandale slum on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam and attending and judging the Sanitation Hackathon, but more about that in a later post. The week… Read more »
If You Live In The UK, You Need To Know About The Communications Data Bill
On Thursday June 14th. 2012, Theresa May, the UK Secretary Of State published the draft Communications Data Bill. If you’ve been reading or watching the UK media you might well be aware of this. The bill is hugely controversial, not least because it requires all UK internet service providers to track and store for 12… Read more »
Back when I used to work for Yahoo! I wrote a lot of posts for the Geo Technologies blog; for reasons partially explained in my last post, that blog is now offline, presumed dead. But one post that seems to keep catching people’s imagination is the one in which I, somewhat tongue in cheek, codified… Read more »
Is it Great Britain, the United Kingdom, the British Isles or what exactly?
In February 2009 I wrote a post for the Yahoo! Geo Technologies blog about how people outside of the United Kingdom are sometimes confused by the vagaries of how to correctly write street addresses in the UK and if the United Kingdom is a country and if England is a country then how can England… Read more »
This is an open letter to Andy Bond, Chief Executive of Asda and to Mike Duke, CEO of Wal-Mart. As a British citizen who travels a lot in the US I understand that the “customer service” ethos which is so prevalent in the US doesn’t travel or translate particularly well in the UK. I also… Read more »
Mr. Iain Banks is a Scottish author with two personas. As Iain Banks he writes mainstream, if slightly edgy, novels. As Iain M. Banks he writes science fiction novels, including the Culture series, which deals with a vast and sprawling interstellar utopian civilization. The M is important here. Without it you know you’re getting a mainstream… Read more »
Deliciousness: more bacon, UK geek location, your PIN number, birds tweeting, Ohio as a piano, OMG and WTF and UNIX turns 40.
A semi regular, almost weekly, trawl through the latest stuff on the interwebs bookmarked on Delicious. This fad for all things bacon flavoured is getting out of hand; a few weeks back it was bacon flavoured vodka and now you can get bacon flavoured lip balm. There’s lots of geeks in the United Kingdom; now you… Read more »
- Current status - “You cannot reason with a tiger when your head is in its mouth!” @ Everyman Cinema https://t.co/3hTsj0GP4j 02:18:35 PM January 13, 2018
- Neighbourhood voyeurism #VeryTempting #DrainsTheBatteryThough @ Teddington https://t.co/Yk7rvxLuSC 02:16:19 PM January 12, 2018
- Current status - patient and nervous in equal measures @ Teddington https://t.co/Nl4vU3MRII 01:50:19 PM January 04, 2018
- Current status - preparing to use the Force. High are the expectations, yes. @ Everyman Cinema… https://t.co/rFTt868IHg 12:59:50 PM January 02, 2018
- In the last minutes of 2017, a Wayne’s World tribute to Bohemian Rhapsody happened… https://t.co/8CrliOqaQc 07:20:10 PM January 01, 2018
- Current status - ‘Quins 24, Saints 0 @ Teddington https://t.co/Esgx3n0WRT 04:31:47 PM December 30, 2017
- Current status - practice drone flight @ Teddington https://t.co/vOUuWzzPrf 03:48:44 PM December 29, 2017
- Meanwhile in Kingston .... @ Jamie's Italian Kingston https://t.co/OLzJf6rIAI 02:03:24 PM December 28, 2017
- Current status - avoiding suspicious objects @ Southwood Woodlands https://t.co/hfrbRQIiP5 02:18:41 PM December 26, 2017